Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Does it hurt when I do this?

Everything is not always blissful down here in my own little tropical paradise.  Sure there are little quirks that drive a lot of ex-pats crazy down here, but that's not what I'm talking about.  Actually most of those things don't bother me much at all.  What I'm talking about isn't about the country at all.

For the last few months, I've had a kind of a dull, annoying pain by my top back tooth.  One day, not quite sure when, it got to the point where I couldn't really chew on that side of my mouth anymore.  So I decided I should probably get it checked out.  I asked around and found a dentist to go to in St. James (a neighborhood about 5 minutes from my house and just outside Port of Spain).  I made an appointment, showed up at my scheduled time and about 45 minutes got called in to see the dentist (I guess some things are universal, no matter what country you're in).  Within about 30 seconds of talking to me and taking a quick x-ray, which took about another 30 seconds, he concluded that I needed a root canal.  Great.  I waited until I had got crappy dental coverage with my insurance and until I moved to a third world country to get my dental work done.  Perfect.  

But he told me "...not to worry.  It would be a difficult tooth for me [him] to work on because it's in the back of your [my] mouth, but that's not anything that you [I] should worry about."  Huh?  That's absolutely something I'm going to worry about.  I'm the one who's going to feel it.  But I needed to get it done, so I gotta get it done.  We made a follow up appointment and I was on my way.  I don't know if it's common in the states, but I guess they do root canals in 3 phases down here.

Phase 1: I showed up and he sprayed on some topical anesthetic.  It dripped down into my throat, so the back of that was also numb.  That was a weird feeling.  It actually felt like I had a hold in the back of my throat.  Anyway, the drilling started, and the picking, and scraping, and all the other good things that go along with a root canal.  But part way through he said, "Wow, look at that?"  Never something you want to hear as a dentist is digging around in your mouth.  He called in some of the other dental assistants and showed them too.  Apparently I am one of 10% of the population that has 4 roots in my back tooth.  So I get to have more fun during my root canal than 90% of everyone else does.  Woo hoo!!  

The procedure goes fairly well, with my only complaint being that the dental assistant wasn't too good at sucking the spit out of my mouth.  I felt like I was choking on it a number of times.  But there wasn't any pain after the anesthetic set in.  It also gave me a chance to practice my yoga breathing.  Did I mention that I started doing yoga down here?

Phase 2: They go in with another set of files and a drill and scrape out a bit more inside the roots.  My understanding of the whole process is that they have to go in and dig out what would be like the marrow of your bones, but it's inside your tooth, as well as any of the decay.  How do they do this you ask?  Well that's a great question.

Put your thumb and index finger so the tips are touching.  Now stick a tiny file that looks like a thick tip of a needle between those fingers and start moving them up and down.  That's what it is.  And surprisingly this is done without anesthetic.  I stopped him before he started, and then asked another couple of time..."Are you sure I don't need any?  Positive?"  And he said that I would be fine.  But before he can start digging around, he has to make sure that he doesn't go too deep into the tooth's root.  Apparently this is why no anesthetic is needed.  What he does is take different files of different lengths and thicknesses and sticks them in the tooth's root to see if I can feel it.  So he'll stick something in there and if I wince and start making noise, he knows I can feel it and not to use that tool.  And since I'm that lucky 10%, I got to go through this 4 times instead of just 3.  Lucky me.

Most of the filing went well with a couple occasions where he went too deep.  Then he busts out a drill and starts drilling in there.  Talk about a feeling of panic.  What if he hits that deep spot that he's not supposed to?  I think every single muscle in my body was tensed up, but he did not hit anything with the drill.

I got some rinse, got some temporary filling stuck in there, and now I'm awaiting Phase 3, which comes in about 2 weeks.  I can hardly wait.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really feel sorry for you having to go through a root canal. I don't care where you live they are unpleasant
You're a brave little soldier and I am sure can stand up to the challenge dealt you.
Only one more appt. That should give you some relief. At least until the bill comes.
You will have to smile really, really wide so we'll be able to see the finished product when you have completed your visits to your new best friends.

Kristi, Anthony and Mia Mann said...

It sounds like you are having an interesting dental experience. You are lucky like me- I have five wisdom teeth instead of four! I hope you are enjoying your time down there. I really miss having you at school. Without you and Carol it seems a little boring and uninspiring sometimes. The students overall are doing o.k.-no major episodes lately. Benson is trying to graduate by the end of the year, so we'll see if he sticks with it. Mia is doing well. She is getting big and is a huge joy in our lives. We have had four snow/too cold days during the past two weeks. It has been a little crazy. Take care.

Anonymous said...

welcome to the canal club, TK. glad you survived phases one and two. three isn't bad at all--they just switch out your temp for a permanent filling. let me know if you need me to bring anything for you to ease the rc trauma!

Frank said...

effffffffff that

i would be back on a plane to Walmartistahn tout suite. USA USA USA!

my dentist suggested some extra pain relief in advance for some work i'm getting done in a few days. since i still rock the xhard edgex i hope to be on my ass all day.

Anonymous said...

Poor you! I have yet to visit a dentist here, not something I am too anxious to do. Still, probably better than in Uganda???