Saturday, December 20, 2008

Darkness and Christmas

I've heard stories about the northern parts of Alaska, Canada, the U.K., where there are periods of the year when it is dark for 20+ hours a day (or something like that) and other parts of the year when it is light out for 20+ hours a day.  Apparently this can effect people adversely.  People go into long hibernating sleeps when it's continually dark and have intense bouts of insomnia when it is light out.  It's hard to get a bearing on what time of day it is when the days do not change to night or the nights do not change into days.

That's kind of how it is right now for me here in Trinidad.  I have absolutely no concept that it is almost Christmas.  Don't get me wrong, I still see advertisements on TV about the coming holiday.  The Trini's do Christmas big down here and there are decorations out.  But not having any change in the temperature has made this kind of a non-event for me. 

I know that in the states, everyone would say that I am completely nuts to say that being in the caribbean for Christmas doesn't enhance the holiday, but it's true.  I miss sitting in my house, watching the snow, illuminated by the street lights.  I miss being in a house that is dark, but only lit by the Christmas lights and maybe a fire in the fireplace.  I am anxiously awaiting the time when I can be bundled up in a sweater, and not because the AC is on at a ridiculous temperature.  The crunch of fresh snow under your feet...the feel of cold air in your nose and lungs...the joy of being in bed, bundled up under the covers...

All of these are things that we take for granted when we are immersed in them while rushing off to work or trying to get the windows of your car scrapped off or battling the drafts in our houses.  (I blame being born in a blizzard for my love of the cold and snow.)  

But this is also one of the things that I love best about traveling - that you stop taking things for granted and start appreciating what you have and what you are experiencing.  So while I still don't know if I'll truly be able to get into the Christmas spirit, I will be sure to enjoy the warm weather, the beaches, and everything else not cold.  I'll enjoy it enough for those back home cursing the cold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh the holidays in the Midwest. Temp in Chicago today is -5 with windchill at -30. Snow can be fun to look at but today I wish I was looking at a beach! The only sand I've seen lately is in my trunk so I don't slide off the road. Bah Humbug.