Wednesday, November 5, 2008

For quite possibly the first time...

...in my life, I can say that I am proud to be an American.  Now don't get me wrong, I have always felt very privileged to be a US citizen, more so now than ever as I have started to travel to new countries and see how other people live and other governments govern.  But there is a quote from a song from one of my favorite bands, Endpoint, which probably most people reading this have never heard of before.  The quote goes "I love my country but I won't close my eyes."  And that is how I have felt for most of my life.  I'm not going to ignore the faults and injustices that I see every day.

The United States of America is a great nation, but it far, far from perfect.  But now, with the election of our new president, I, like millions of other US citizens, have hope that we can chip away at those imperfections.  That we can rebuild our reputation and status across the globe, that we can come together as a people, as a nation, and do what is right.

People don't like to believe it, but there is still a considerable amount of racism in the US, both on an individual level and on a systemic level.  Think about if you clutch your purse a little tighter when a black man passes you on the street.  Think about if your heart beats a little faster if you approach a group of black male youths when you are out alone.  Visit an inner city school and look at the conditions of the school vs. the conditions of a suburban school, or talk to the students and families and see if they truly get the same opportunities and are treated the same way as you are treated as a white person.  

I'm not necessarily that if you feel different in these situations if I replace the word "black" with "white" that you are a racist.  But I am saying that our society has not created this equal state that we are lead to believe it has.  There are things, images, ideas, that are so ingrained in our subconscious by our upbringing and current media, that we still do treat people differently based on the color of their skin, what religion they adhere to, or their family heritage.  However, this election is one step in the right direction to close that gap.

As I was typing this and trying to post it, still glowing in the election of president-elect Obama, I saw the results of a handful of propositions that were being voted on across the US, banning gay marriage and banning adoption of children by gay individuals and couples.  All of these propositions passed, thus restricting the rights of citizens of the United States who want equal rights to love and care for each other and for children in dire need of a home.  So while we have progressed to the point where we are not trying to intentionally discriminate against people with different color skin than our own, we as a nation still find it OK to publicly discriminate against gay people.

Well at least I was proud for about 20 minutes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel. I am not American but feel the frustrations of loving a country that does so much right but at the same time can get it so wrong so many times. I think it is wonderful for Americans to finally lift up their heads with pride and say for once that "yes. We did something right."

Unknown said...

Loved your email, Tom! We are also very excited about the results of last week's election. Our country will never be perfect! However,Obama's election has energized and electrified our country and much of the world. We think we are in good hands for the rough road ahead!! Aunt Barb

Auntie A said...

The front page of the national Brazilian newspaper after the election said, with a full, color picture of Obama: O Mundo Sorriso -- THE WORLD SMILES. There were people cheering in the street outside my window when the results were announced and it was 4am. There are countries now saying "Why not us!?" just as we've said, "Yes we can!" When was the last time we felt as though the world was looking at us with sense of pride? I am proud of us for getting it right and I hope that we stick together as we know these will not be easy times, and effective change is long term, but I have never been more hopeful or proud of my country...this is my second US presidential election living abroad and I must say I much prefer the spirit around this one than the last!

Anonymous said...

I have been trying to "call" you for days now, but it seems like we are never online at the same time.

I felt the same way about the election. I woke up feeling like I was starting to come out of a fog of oppression, and I was just starting to see a glimmer of sunshine. But I also saw all of the hate filled laws that were passed against gay people, and it seems like we still have a long way to go.

They said that Black people showed up to the polls in record numbers, and it seems like the oppressed have now become the oppressors. Discrimination is discrimination is discrimination.

But progress is still progress. We are working toward creating a more perfect Union, and I am not ready to throw in the towel on the Good 'ole US of A quite yet.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you haven't abandoned us completely. It sounds like you are having an amazing experience. I miss you every day. I am glad that Obama got elected, but I am becoming more apprehensive each day because of the job that lies ahead for him and the nation. Times are tough and it has hit me personally. The auto industry is sinking and my brother-in-law sells products to dealerships. His business is basically non existent now and they can't find jobs and are burning through their savings. Today the big three US automakers were testifying and asking for cash, but all three took private jets instead of flying coach. The mentality of the elite and wealthy continues to amaze us. I hope if the government bails them out they put strict requirements on the pay and perks of the big wigs. Hope you are doing well. Mia is getting big. I had to stay home today because she has been sick/cutting teeth. The job of a mother...