Sunday, October 19, 2008

I think the Hash I just tried could get addicting.

One of the other teachers told me about it when I first got here and I was a bit intrigued.  She mentioned it to me a couple times since then, but we were never able to get together for me to experience it.  So yesterday, Katie, Aaron and I decided to try the Hash with a few other people that we know from playing Ultimate Frisbee Thursday afternoons.

We were a bit apprehensive, but curious at the same time.  It sounded like kind of a crazy idea, maybe even a bit stupid, but intriguing at the same time.  The Hash wasn't in Port of Spain, so we had to travel to Toco to do it (Toco is at the NE corner of the island - about a 2 1/2 hour drive.)  There were supposed to be a lot of people there doing the Hash too - kind of a big party, but we were a little early, so we played in the ocean a bit.  About a half hour later, people started showing up, a guy gave some quick instructions, we handed over our keys (so no one would get lost or left behind while we were doing the Hash), and we were on our way.  Allow me to explain the Hash experience a bit more...

A Hash is something that I thought was created in Amsterdam, but after doing a quick check on Wikipedia, it appears that it was actually created in Kuala Lampur, Malaysia.  In a nutshell, when you're doing a Hash, someone runs goes out and creates a path either in the woods, in a rain forest, in a city, or wherever.  They leave small markers along this path (which may or may not follow along an already created trail) and you try to find your way from the beginning point to the end.  The Hare (the person laying the trail) will also leave false markers along the way to confuse people, which you then have to double back and find the original trail again.

The Hash that I was on went into parts of the rain forest on the island; went up hill and down hills, through the mud, through and up a river, and over many a fallen branch or tree.  I was part of the front of the pack, trying to find & follow the trail, until we found a false trail.  At that point, I ended up getting stuck at the end as everyone turned around and went the other direction.  I then got stuck behind a girl who was sliding down every decline on her butt.  After a while I was able to get past her, but one other girl and I were kind of on our own for a bit because we fell so far behind the pack.  We eventually caught up with a few other people and we slowly started catching up with other people.  (Don't worry, people who helped lay out the course were picking up the rear, helping the people who were really struggling).

We found our way to the end, wet, muddy, sweaty, and with grins on our faces from ear to ear.  It was so much fun.  Afterwards, most people partake in a lot of drinking (a common Hasher phrase is that they are "drinkers with a running problem").  I enjoyed a carbonated apple juice.  These apparently happen every other week in different locations across Trinidad and I have a feeling I know what I'll be doing next Saturday afternoon.  For those who are interested, there are Hashers in pretty much every country - just look them up online and you'll probably find one nearby. 

Wait, what did you think when I said I was trying Hash down here???

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Tom,

I kept reading and waiting for the "roast" to begin....haha. You had me going. Looks like tons of fun down there. I think a good hash is right up my alley.

Unknown said...

Its funny I actually sort of had an idea it had something to do with running. I just couldn't see you smoking anything! I think I would love to do the hash.

Anonymous said...

Mr Tom!!!

How is your new job? Are you loving being away from the Met? I am loving every minute of it!!!! Hope all is well!!!

Amanda Horn

Jane Ire said...

you had me going for about a paragraph... I thought "woah, Tom really has gone native!"

you're a goofball.

Anonymous said...

i thought you meant hash browns. hmmm...turns out you ARE a pansy.